The Kursk Root icon was discovered September 8, 1259, by a hunter outside the town of Kursk, Russia. He found the icon lying face down by the root of a tree. When he lifted it he saw that the image of the icon was similar to the Novgorod "Znamenie" Icon. With the appearance of this icon immediately there appeared its first miracle. Just as the hunter lifted up the holy icon from the earth, right then, at that place where the icon lay, gushed forth a spring of pure water. The hunter decided not to leave the icon in the forest, placing it instead in a small, ancient chapel.
The icon was transferred to the city of Ryl'a and put it in a new church erected in honor of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos. But the icon soon disappeared and returned to its initial place of appearance. The people of Ryl'a made several attempts to bring the icon to their city, but it repeatedly returned to its former place. Everyone then realized that the Theotokos preferred the place of the icon's appearance.
The special help granted by the Mother of God through this icon is associated with important events in Russian history. Several copies of the icon were made, which also were glorified.